Sep

A Week In Unschooling

With most kids headed back to school this past week the parks, attractions, and beaches have lost the crowds and we took full advantage.

We went to parks, grandma’s house, a petting zoo, a fall fair, and a heritage museum.  We had conversations about economics and wars (war is a big topic of conversation in our house these days)  We played with friends, did crafts, and made up a timeline of the last 200 years which we will add events to when interest in an event arises.   It was a good week.

There were many moments throughout our days when we were standing outside in the glorious sunshine when I thought to myself, if I didn’t homeschool, my kids would be indoors at a desk right now.

And I filled myself with gratitude.  Gratitude for our choices, our family, our place in the world.

We were in the car and Kayden said something about going to school.  Lan said to him “You don’t want to go to school, all you do in school is sit at a desk all day and do math.  You don’t get to play or anything!”

I was surprised because I have never said these words to him but he picked them up from somewhere.  I smiled and knew we were doing the right thing for our family.

For those of you who are wondering just what the lives of unschoolers entail, here is an overview of what we did this week in pictures.

Yeah, its been a pretty good week.

This post was inspired by a post on The Sattvic Family entitled Unschooling Preschool.

New to Unschooling?

Here is a list of books that have helped me to build my educational philosophy:

Home Grown by Ben Hewwit

Free At Last by Michael Greenberg

Big Book of Unschooling by Sandra Dodd

The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith

Radical Unschooling by Dayna Martin

Unschool Yourself by Jason Xie

How Children Learn by John Holt

How Children Fail by John Holt

Learning All the Time by John Holt

Teach Your Own by John Holt

The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn

This post contains affiliate links which helps me to pay for the hosting of this blog! 🙂

1. Kelleigh says:

Hi Amy! Holy smokes! You totally saw more with your kiddos in one week than an average classroom does in one year…seriously! And the discussions and timeline…wow! More than is done in a month…seriously! You go girl! You are doing the right thing in so many ways by homeschooling.

BTW, how is the house selling going?

Yes it was a busy week for sure! We got to do a bit more this week because my mom is letting me borrow her car for the next month while she is on vacation. Now that we are mobile I want to do as much as we can while we have a car.
      The house selling is still the same….the market is flat. Our agent said that he hopes it will pick up this fall now that the kids are back in school, more retirees will come out and look. But he also said it would pick up in the summer and it never did. Sigh. So right now we are just trying to be patient and enjoy ourselves. Doing our best to stay positive and hashing out ideas to enable us to travel even if the house doesn’t sell.

2. Erin N from Green Kids Guide says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!! I feel exactly the same way! My kids are only 2 and 4 but we are unschooling all the way. We spent the week at the fair, park, museum, etc. too. I have to admit, I love it when all the other kids go back to school so we have to spend a lot less time waiting in line everywhere than we do in the summer!

Thanks Erin! We too, are loving the peace of fall. So nice to not have to wait in lines!

Looks like a great week! Way to go, Mama! I don’t quite consider myself an unschooler, but I recognize that the bulk of learning happens in natural, unplanned, and relaxed, ways, so I give the kids lots of freedom to pursue the things they’re interested in. We usually have 1-2 hours of “school” a couple days a week. Today that consisted mostly of reading some books, planting flowers, and baking a pie. Our tradition is to eat apple pie for breakfast on the first day of school, so we’ll do that tomorrow and the kids can think we didn’t actually “do school” today. :>

That’s awesome Rebeca! I love the tradition of eating an apple pie. I tried to make the “first’ day of school special for my boys. We went out for lunch and to a park and had a visit with Grandma.

Dear Amy

Nice post. We are coming to an end of our homeschooling years and in 4 weeks our two sons will go to a public Swiss school. We had a good time homeschooling and it has been an experience I wouldn’t want to miss. However, we are all very ready for a new chapter and our boys are super excited to go to a “real” school.

Once they are in school I will write a resume on our website about the pro and cons of combining being a mother and a teacher (our experiences, which of course are not the same for everybody). A few days ago, after a “hard day at school” I gave our ten year old a big hug and said “I am glad that soon I will be just your mother and not teacher and mother”. It came from the bottom of my heart and when he nodded so understandingly I knew that we were all ready for a change. Our sons have become young adults and it will be nice for them to have peers and new learning sources. And it will be nice for me to be the understanding and helping hand at home :-).

There is a great little film on youtube about our school system and when you watch this you really want to keep your kids at home. However, Swiss schools are (at least at the moment) still a nice mix of “old school” and creative, outdoor places and most Swiss kids are still happy “kids” and not drugged zombies. That’s the link to the film:

Good luck with the homeschooling and we will be happy to meet you in Switzerland.

It is just another adventure for you Nadine and I can’t wait to hear about it! I hope we do make it to Switzerland to see you!

5. Elizabeth says:

I LOVE GOATS. Just had to say that. lol! love your pictures. Your kids are so lucky they get to experience the pleasures of nature with you…and not a classroom! Thanks for the mention!!!!

No problem love, its what inspired me to do the post!

6. Grandma Cindy says:

We see everyday how the boys are learning and growing. They are smart, inquisitive and witty. They are talented children and their life skills are constantly evolving. We appreciate you, Amy! Thanks.

G-ma you warm my heart. Thank you.

7. Kelly @ The Homeschool Co-op says:

I am loving this. The richness of your learning experiences is so inspiring. If there ever was a plug for unschooling…

Thanks Kelly!

8. Tracey says:

Where do I get myself a Grandma Cindy??????? I’ve been reading some of her comments and she is one special lady! You’re very lucky Amy!!!

You will have to find your own, this one is taken! 🙂

9. Sue says:

How do I find out more information about Unschooling: how to apply, supports, academic expectations, etc?

I would start with a google search on your area requirements to homeschool then get as many books as you can from the library and start researching.

10. Sue says:

How do I find out more information about “Unschooling”: enrolment, structure, supports, academic expectations, etc.?