Dec

Has The House Sold Yet?…Um No.

No, the house has not sold yet.

The market is flat and now that it is winter our prospects are even slimmer for a sale.  The good news is that it is not our house, it is the market.  Our house is still very desirable and beautiful, in a good neighbourhood and specifically designed with the needs of a retired population in mind.  Most of the houses that went on the market here last spring are still for sale, or their owners have taken them off the market.  This makes me feel better about things, the right buyer will come, I am sure of it.

The funny thing is, I have come to a place where I am OK with the house not selling.  Now don’t get me wrong, I still really want it to sell and we are still dreaming of white sand and swaying palm trees, but I have found a place of happiness.  After the first few months without any offers I began to get a little depressed.  I thought I could not bear to stand another winter here.  I found it next to impossible to live in the present, my mind always wandered into this endless cycle of doubt, anxiousness, and fear that we would be stuck here forever.

So what changed?

Well a lot of it had to do with some mental exercises I have been practicing.  Every time I walk into the house I appreciate its beauty.  I thank the universe for having a beautiful place to live and (this may sound cheesy) I try to send positive thoughts into the walls.  Because if I keep harbouring negative energy towards the house then someone who comes to look at it might feel that negativity and be turned off by it.

I have also almost completely stopped researching for the trip.  Sounds strange right?  But I found that every time I discovered a great new bungalow online or a fabulous activity we could try I would start to feel depressed again that we weren’t already in Asia experiencing  it.  So instead I am focussing my energy on being more present with where I am.

And I have truly embraced the idea that there is a reason for everything.

I’m not the same person I was nine months ago when we put the house on the market.  Mike and I have changed our plans at least a dozen times. We have explored our ideas about what it is we really want out of life and have tried to figure out how we can attain our dreams.

We have had many conversations about what our perfect life would look like, how could we make money while following our dreams, what are we willing to live with and live without, what are our personal boundaries, what kind of childhood do we want for our children, how much of our time are we willing to trade for money?

We haven’t come up with definitive answers for all our questions but we have come a lot closer to understanding what it is we want out of life and how we are going to go about getting it.

If our house would have sold right away I don’t know if we would have asked all these questions.  I think we would have jumped into our trip with both feet, spent a lot of money, and then would have to come home and start the daily grind all over again.  Originally this was the plan but now our plans have become a whole lot bigger (and a whole lot smaller at the same time!)

Having this pause in our lives, this lesson in patience and presence has helped Mike and I to see our dreams more clearly and I am grateful for it.

The house will sell when it is supposed to sell, and I am OK with that.

1. Nancy from Family on Bikes says:

This post makes me so happy! You are so incredibly right that asking those questions is a good thing. You’re truly thinking about what’s important in life and figuring out where you want to go. As you say, it’ll happen when it’s meant to happen. For now, you just need to keep taking baby steps in the right direction – soon those baby steps will lead you where you want to be!

Exactly Nancy, we have a clearer idea of how we want to live our lives and what is truly important to us. If we just keep on the right path all the rest will fall into place for us. And thank you for your part in keeping us motivated and inspired!

Great perspective! Someday you’ll look back and see how the timing was perfect. I thought we were going to put our home on the market in the fall and we haven’t even gotten that far yet. We even had a potential buyer who, the day they were going to write us an offer, found out the house across the street from their rental was going on the market and bought it instead. But, I’m very thankful to be “home” during the Christmas season and know it will all happen in good tie. Peace to you!

I was wondering what happened with your potential buyer! It will happen for both of us at the right time. And then there we will be sipping ice cold drinks and making sandcastles on the beaches of Thailand!

3. Chris G says:

Wow … this made me sad! 🙁

I have no idea what area of the country you live in (BC I believe, right?), but how much of a sincerely calculated and proactive effort have you made in trying to sell your house? I don’t mean to sound holier-than-thou, just wondering if there’s anything you could do to locally advertise your house in places around the world where they’re itching to find a new life in Canada? I’m thinking mostly in Asia – China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea – but also in places where recent political turmoil has those with a bit of money wanting out, such as Egypt, Syria, Israel, etc. It also wouldn’t hurt to look into Australia, New Zealand and England.

I ask this question not because I’m speculating, but rather because I have first-hand experience that this strategy works in some cases: after a family member of mine attempted to sell their rather expensive property in Canada they had almost no luck after just over a year advertising locally and in MLS … but then decided to concentrate directly on the well-off Asian market and the house was sold in a matter of weeks. Yes, the well-to-do Asians have access to MLS online, but it seems tweaking the interest through a local advertising medium gets some people thinking “why not?”. This is especially true if you live in BC – God’s country! 🙂

Worth a try.

Good luck.

VERY much looking forward to the ‘We Sold the House!’ post. 🙂

Chris.

Thanks for the advise Chris, that is not something I have thought of before.

And I am VERY looking forward to writing the “We Sold The House!” post 🙂

4. Renee — ramblecrunch says:

Oh boy, can I relate. My family was in a similar position before we left.

My husband and I always wanted to travel with our daughter. Well, when my daughter turned 8 we realized we’d better get to it. We also realized we ought to get our Canadian citizenship before leaving the country. Well, that process took nearly two loooong years.

We filled out applications and then waited. There’s a backlog of course, so about four months passed before our application was even entered in the system. Every stage of the process involved months and months of waiting. We couldn’t trael, because we were afraid we’d be summoned for something official. We were going crazy. Our daughter turned eight, then nine.

During the wait we’d discussed all our travel options, bouncing around amongst lots of ideas. Making specific plans was tough, since we didn’t know when we’d be able to leave. We sold our Vancouver condo, moved into a rental and kept waiting. What’s interesting is that all our plans seemed sort of vague we FINALLY became citizens in December of 2010. But after that, everything became real. Fast. We erupted in a frenzy of selling stuff (everything we owned in fact) and walked out the door on April 28, 2011, more than two years after we’d decided to go.

So I guess the point of this oh-so-rambling reply is that I understand what you’re going through. The wait is frustrating, but it will come to an end eventually.

Hang in there, Amy! Hugs from Turkey…

Thank you so much for sharing your story Renee! The waiting is hard isn’t it? I think that we will be like you…..when the time finally comes for us there will be a flurry of activity and decisions and finally everything will come to fruition incredibly fast.
      Hugs from Canada!

Dear Amy and family
    I am sincerely and deeply happy that you have been given this time to reflect and come upon the conclusion that you have so much to be happy for. One day, just when you are enjoying your every moment at home so much, a buyer will come and you will start a new chapter, but you will start it a little sad to leave the very happy lives you have now. Still you will be excited to discover the world, knowing all the time that back home you have had a wonderful life and a treasure that you won’t mind going back to when the time is ripe.
    I believe that a profound happiness with your today’s life will be the best attitude to travel with. It will help you to see the world differently and to contribute something to it whilst you are on the road. I am very, very glad for you.
    Nice post! Merry Christmas, I know what wish I will ask for… that you may now sell your house. 🙂

It is funny you should say that Nadine because I have been thinking a lot lately about how I am really content where we are right now. If we had have sold the house right away I would have had no sadness over leaving but now I think I will have a little bit of mourning for leaving this life. And that, as you say, will give me more perspective when we are traveling and help to develop my ideas of what I really want out of life!
      Thank you for being such a good friend Nadine.

6. Elizabeth says:

This post made me happy too, because you will have those sandy beaches and such, but enjoying what you have right now is best. I constantly wish we could just hop on a plane to say China, but we don’t have the funds. I get sick of daily life and Billy now being gone 6 days a week. But we are hopeful and know that in the next few years we will be able to travel more. So for right now, I am forced to enjoy being a homesteader, which for me is challenging as I suck at cleaning…

I know sometimes it is hard to enjoy the present when the future seems so bright and amazing. It is a struggle somedays and its easy to get lost in negative thinking. But really we have so much to be grateful for. How lucky we are!

7. lisa chiodo | renovating italy says:

well how funny looks like we are in the same boat so to speak! Need our house in Australia to sell to get back to Italy, patience really is a virtue!! ciao lisa

I hope it sells for you Lisa!