Mar

Plan B

Over the past month Mike and I have had to ask ourselves a serious question:

What do we do if the house does not sell this year?

For the first half of last year the thought of the house not selling didn’t really enter our reality.  But then, of course, it didn’t sell and we are still here…waiting.  Of course we are hoping it sells this spring but we have decided we need to have a plan of action in case it doesn’t.  We don’t want to spend another winter here just waiting to travel…we need to take our travel goals into our own hands and figure out how we can take a trip within our financial reality.

Our number one goal is this:

We will spend the winter somewhere warm, somewhere we can travel cheaply.

After a few nights of hashing out plans and filling out mock budgets we decided that flying anywhere is out of the question.  We need to do this on the cheap and I mean very cheap.  We decided our cheapest option is to take advantage of being able to drive on our own continent and keeping accommodation costs low by freelance camping (boondocking).

So, we have  made the decision that if the house does not sell we will be driving to the southern US and spending the winter camping and exploring in the desert in Arizona.  Even if we have to do it in a tent we have committed to the idea.

Now I really believe that when you make your intentions known to the universe the universe conspires to help you when things are meant to be.  Within the span of a few days of making our decision, committing to it, and letting our intentions be known to our loved ones, we got an offer we could not pass up.

Someone who loves us offered to sell us their old motorhome for a very affordable sum, with no money down!  Just the promise that we would pay them when we could afford to and it was ours!

Of course we said yes! Really, how could we not with such a generous offer?

Our New Home on Wheels

Now the motorhome has some problems but nothing my handy husband can’t fix.  He is busy fixing leaks in the roof and taking care of some water damage inside.  We will be pulling out the carpet and putting down some cheap laminate.  We are making the closet into bunk beds and generally giving it some love and attention as well as a very thorough cleaning.  Within a few weekends of work we should have it livable.  I’ll be writing about our RV reno in an upcoming post.

We have had to tarp it until we can finish fixing the roof leaks.

Front living area.

View towards the back bedroom.

It feels so good to have a project and a goal again.

Over the next six months we will be doing our best to save money and hopefully we will find someone to rent our home for the winter while we are living it up, worldschooling in the Southern US!

And of course if the house does sell we will be back to our plan of Asia….but maybe after a summer of camping in BC!

1. Jenn says:

So EXCITED for you Amy! Awesome!!! :D

Thanks Jenn! We are really happy about it. The idea just came together so seamlessly, we feel like it was meant to be!

2. Julianne says:

Plan B sounds good so far.

For me “travel” has always meant pulling out my passport and heading to the airport. We have not been able to do that over the past few years and I’ve had to expand my concept of travel to include exploring my own state. Once I made that leap I started “Travel Training” the kids. We’re in the midst of a series of mini adventures, each one longer and further a field than the last. I hope that these experiences, which are educational in the own right, will serve me well when we do finally head to the airport, passports in hand, to actually board a plane and not just watch them.

I follow your progress with fascination.
    Cheers!
    J.

“When you have your heart set on one thing, it’s hard to see your dream being fulfilled any other way.” This is so true, we were so focused in on our Asia plan that we had a hard time seeing any other options.

I feel like a trip to the states is no where near as grand or exciting as Asia would be but when I take a step back and look at it through the eyes of my children it is! They will be experiencing a whole new way of living (on wheels!) seeing new landscapes, plants, and animals. Learning about the desert and what it takes to camp long term. They are just as excited about this trip as our trip to Asia, and their excitement is making my excitement grow!

That’s exciting! If you pass through Oregon and we’re still here we’d love to meet up! (We even have a space you can park!) Arizona in the winter is beautiful, lots to do! My inlaws live there and we’ve been down a couple times in the last few years. Still hoping your house will sell, but this is a GREAT plan B!

If you are still there we will take you up on that offer! We will come down via Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. We would love to meet you on the way!!!!

Dear Amy and family

You will see, Plan B and C and D and E is often so much more rewarding than your first idea. We usually end up on plan number 5890 or so… and homeschooling in an RV is soooooo much easier than homeschooling in a hostel… take my word for it.

You want cheap and beautiful… make it down to Baja California… it’s a family paradise especially if you have your own house on wheels with you. Stroking grey whales, snorkling with sea lions, wonderful beaches, freedom, amazing people…. it’s the number one family destination.

On our website under travel tips there is a list of all the places to stay on Baja… or get the wonderful book by the American couple “Church”.

Enjoy soooooo much!!!

I went to the Baja with my parents when I was 17 and loved it. It was so beautiful! Thanks for the tips Nadine!

5. Erik says:

You mention freelance camping. I have not heard that term before. is that the same as boondocking or workamping or is it something else entirely?

Same as boondocking!

6. Colin Burns says:

How awesome – Amy if one plan doesn’t work there is always another one. I know this from experience we go through 20 different plans for each big trip we take :)

At the moment trying to work out what we’re doing in 2013. We’re coming to Canada for a few weeks in Dec but trying to stay for a full ski season in Big White. I think I have a houseswap in place from Feb – Mid April just need to find a few weeks in Jan and we’ll be all set :) Then after that – I don’t know. US RV Trip, over to Europe or back to SEAsia. That’s one of the negatives (if you can call it that) with this lifestyle. Having so many options gives us many decisions to deal with.

Perhaps we could look at buying/renting the RV off you when your finished and we’ll drive around the US & Canada for a while :)

Cheers,
    Colin

7. Bethaney - Flashpacker Family says:

Hi Amy,

I can sympathize with you 100% on this one. We’re currently in the same boat – waiting for our house to sell so we can move on to a life of permanent long-term travel. The waiting and “what ifs” are painful.

We were in Arizona last year during December and it was fabulous. Scottsdale was fantastically warm – around 27C (80F). We loved Arizona. It felt super relaxing, easy and friendly. Lots of retirees which helps add to that relaxed vibe I think.

Bethaney

We definitely have a lot in common Bethaney! I hope your house sells soon and we can meet up in the world somewhere!