Over the past month Mike and I have had to ask ourselves a serious question:
What do we do if the house does not sell this year?
For the first half of last year the thought of the house not selling didn’t really enter our reality. But then, of course, it didn’t sell and we are still here…waiting. Of course we are hoping it sells this spring but we have decided we need to have a plan of action in case it doesn’t. We don’t want to spend another winter here just waiting to travel…we need to take our travel goals into our own hands and figure out how we can take a trip within our financial reality.
Our number one goal is this:
We will spend the winter somewhere warm, somewhere we can travel cheaply.
After a few nights of hashing out plans and filling out mock budgets we decided that flying anywhere is out of the question. We need to do this on the cheap and I mean very cheap. We decided our cheapest option is to take advantage of being able to drive on our own continent and keeping accommodation costs low by freelance camping (boondocking).
So, we have made the decision that if the house does not sell we will be driving to the southern US and spending the winter camping and exploring in the desert in Arizona. Even if we have to do it in a tent we have committed to the idea.
Now I really believe that when you make your intentions known to the universe the universe conspires to help you when things are meant to be. Within the span of a few days of making our decision, committing to it, and letting our intentions be known to our loved ones, we got an offer we could not pass up.
Someone who loves us offered to sell us their old motorhome for a very affordable sum, with no money down! Just the promise that we would pay them when we could afford to and it was ours!
Of course we said yes! Really, how could we not with such a generous offer?
Now the motorhome has some problems but nothing my handy husband can’t fix. He is busy fixing leaks in the roof and taking care of some water damage inside. We will be pulling out the carpet and putting down some cheap laminate. We are making the closet into bunk beds and generally giving it some love and attention as well as a very thorough cleaning. Within a few weekends of work we should have it livable. I’ll be writing about our RV reno in an upcoming post.
It feels so good to have a project and a goal again.
Over the next six months we will be doing our best to save money and hopefully we will find someone to rent our home for the winter while we are living it up, worldschooling in the Southern US!
And of course if the house does sell we will be back to our plan of Asia….but maybe after a summer of camping in BC!