Jul

Oh the Freedom!

The sale of our house closed without a hitch last week. We are living in our motorhome and are now officially debt free.  Oh, how good it feels to type these words!

I feel like there has been yet another shift in our reality.  It’s the feeling of freedom, of knowing that we are untethered.  The world has opened for us and new and exciting opportunities are arising.

We already have a new project.  I’m not ready to divulge what it is yet online because we are still ironing out the wrinkles but I will say that is a big step towards enabling us to create the lifestyle we want, traveling for six months of every year and spending the other six months in BC.  It is not going to be the laid back summer we had planned. There is a lot of unpaid work coming our way, but we are more than excited about it.  I should be able to write more in a few weeks time.

Meanwhile our days seem to stretch out before us.  We are working in our garden on my parent’s beautiful property where we will be based this summer.  We are helping with yard work but instead of feeling like a chore there is a zen like quality to our actions.  Mike commented to me that this is what it must feel like to be retired….retired people always have immaculate yards!

Our garden.

We have been playing with our children, having long conversations, going for walks and bike rides, foraging along the river for ripe, succulent saskatoon berries and filling our mouths, bellies, and freezer with their summer goodness.  The boys have been playing lego, making mud pies, and free-ranging.  You know its been a good day when their bathwater turns brown from the accumulation of the day’s adventures!

The beauty that surrounds us.

Life in the motorhome is sweet.  I don’t feel cramped.  There is no deprivation from going from a 2000 sq ft house to a house on wheels.  Our lives have simplified.  Mike and my clothes now take up two 10 inch closets and the boys now share three drawers but it is enough….I never wore half of my clothes anyways!

Everything feels good and perfect and right.  I know that that can change at any moment but for now I am lounging in this happiness.  I’m drinking in this feeling of freedom we have worked and dreamed of for so long.

1 ping

This post makes me so happy for you! It is so many of the things I’m looking forward to- more time together, less space and fewer things to care for, no more house showings, more freedom, etc. And saskatoons! I grew up eating lots and lots of those in Alberta. I have happy memories of picking and freezing and eating saskatoons. Enjoy some for me, okay? :>

Will do Rebeca! I’ll have some on my cereal tomorrow and think of you, sending you lots of house selling energy!

2. Colin Burns says:

Congratulations! Your post makes you sound so happy. Being debt free is such a massive thing. Now that we are in New Zealand (would be the same for Australia, Canada or the US) things just feel harder. The opportunities are still there, but in the end it to embrace an opportunity you need to be comfortable with debt.

Unfortunately I am not, so I am really struggling at the moment.

I’m so happy for you guys!

Cheers,
    Colin

One thing we definitely do not want to do is go back into debt. I don’t want that anchor again. Our plans don’t involve debt so we are on the same page there Colin!

3. Wireless Ideology says:

Congrats, Amy! What an incredible achievement. Really happy for you guys. Can’t wait to hear about your new plans.

Oh, and your squash/zucchini plants look phenomenal. :)

Thanks Bobby!

Wonderful!!!! I know just how you feel, althouth we never had a dept, but we do live with a very similar feeling of freedom and it’s wonderful. And I am happy that your long, long wait was so worth it!

5. Heather Costaras says:

What a wonderful post – and such lovely news. SO happy for you guys! We are a couple of months behind you (still waiting for our house to sell) – and looking forward to the same feeling of FREEDOM.

Your posts are inspiring! :-)

Thanks so much Heather! I hope your house sells soon. :)

1. Our New Project | Worldschool Adventures says:

[…] is on the same property as my parents. (As in my parents who totally […]